Atyrau, an administrative centre of the Atyrau region, is located on the northern coast of the Caspian sea, on the banks of the Ural river. It was founded as a fortress by two brothers in 1640 and was called after their last names Guriev. In 1865 it was raised into the status of a city and was renamed in Atyrau in 1992. The present city is the largest centre of the oil and gas industries in Kazakhstan. There are the Drama Theatre, the Museum of Local Lore, the Arts Museum in Atyrau. The Orthodox Church, the memorial of architectury of the 19th century, survived to our time.