Feodosiya (known as Kaffa since the end of the 13th century till 1783), an administrative centre of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea since 1991, with a population of 71,7 thousand, is located in the southeastern part of the Crimean peninsula on the coast of the Feodosiysky bay. Feodosiya is a seaside climatic and balneomud resort. The foundation of the city was due to the Greek merchants who based a colony-trading station which was named Feodosiya (in Greek "the God given") in the 6th century B.C. In the end of the 13th century Feodosiya was ruled by Italian trading city of Genoa. Inhabitants of Genoa named it Kaffa and have constructed a powerful fortress. In the end of the 15th century Kaffa was conquered by Ottoman Empire. In the end of the 18th century the name of the city was given Feodosiya for the second time. Old part of the city is an original architectural and historical museum with evident features of the middle ages. The main places of interest are the Ayvazovsky National Gallery, the Grin Cottage Museum, the ruins of the fortress of the 14th-15th centuries, the Mufti Dzhami Mosque (17th century), the Museum of Local Lore.