Pavlodar, a centre of Pavlodar region, is located on the right bank of the Irtysh river. The population of the city is 228 thousand. Pavlodar was founded in 1720 as a Koryakovsky advanced post. In 1861 it was raised into the status of a city. The modern Pavlodar is a large industrial centre. The main places of interest are the Blagoveschensky Cathedral, the Arts Museum, the Museum of Local Lore, the Drama Theatre named after A.Chekhov, the Musical Drama Theatre named after Z.Aymautov.