Tartu is the second largest city in Estonia with a population of 95000. It is situated in Southern Estonia (186 kilometres from Tallinn) on the banks of the Emajoogi river. The city is considered to be the oldest in Estonia. For the first time Tartu was mentioned in chronicles in 1030. It has been known by several very different names: Tarbatu (the form used by the Ancient Estonians), Derpt and Dorpat (the German versions), Jurjev (the name used by the Russians). The former St.John`s Church in the city centre and the former Cathedral on Toome Hill are the only buildings of Tartu`s oldest medieval architecture have survived down to this day. The whole of the Old Town was built in the last quarter of the 18th century and the first third of the 19th century in a late baroque and a neo-classical styles. There are many places of interest in Tartu. The Estonian National Museum, the Estonian Literary Museum, the Tartu Arts Museum, the Tartu Kivissila Arts Gallery and various monuments are among them.