Uglich is an ancient town in Yaroslavl region. It is located on the bank of the Volga river, 110 kilometers west from Yaroslavl. A local tradition dates the town's origin back to 937. Uglich belongs to the Golden Ring of Russia. Cruise boats running along the Volga river often stop here. The city features many nice samples of Russian architecture, ancient monasteries and churches. Particularly notable are the following: the Uglich Kremlin with the Church of Dmitry on the Blood (1692), the Transfiguration Cathedral (1713), the Belfry (1730) and Prince Dmitry's Chambers (1482); the Voskresensky Monastery (the 17th century); the Bogoyavlensky monastery (the 16th century); the Alexeevsky Monastery and its "Marvelous" Church of the Assumption (1628); the Church of St. John the Baptist (1681); civil buildings of the eighteenth and the nineteenth centuries. More old architecture can be seen in the vicinity of Uglich, including the 15th century Uleima Monastery and the Troitskaya Church in Divnaya Gora village.