Vladikavkaz, a capital of Severnaya Osetiya, was founded in 1784 as a Russian fortress Dzaudzhikau. The city is located on the banks of the Terek river. Before 1863 Vladikavkaz was an Caucasian fortified frontier post. It took an trade and industrial significance in 19th century. The modern city is an industrial and cultural centre of Severnaya Osetiya. The main places of interest of Vladikavkaz: the Sunni Mosque (1906-08), the Russian Drama Theatre, the Severnaya Osetiya Drama Theatre, the Musician Theatre, the Puppet Theatre, the Museum of Local Lore, the Arts Museum, the Museum of Literature of Severnaya Osetiya.